Diversity in STEM - 3 day VWEX with DSTL for Women & Black, Asian and minority ethinic students
Do you enjoy Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths (STEM) at
Are you unsure about the career opportunities available for
these subjects? Do you want to find out about the qualifications you need to
get onto an apprenticeship or a Graduate programme in these subjects?
The Dstl’s Women & Black, Asian and minority ethinic in STEM virtual work experience is for females to help to
answer any questions you may have around a future in STEM.
At Dstl, we employ people with a passion for their particular
area of STEM. Our staff use their expertise to solve fascinating problems
relating to the defence and security of the UK.
Over the three days of the experience, you will meet some of our
staff working at the cutting edge of STEM research and applications. We will
have some of our amazing female scientist there to share their knowledge,
experiences and career journeys with you and will endeavour to answer any
questions you may have. We will then provide you with opportunities to work on
some of the scenarios Dstl face, such as:
· Cleaning up space debris in orbit around the Earth
· Decontaminating ambulances after carrying Covid-19 patients
· Forensic analysis of crime scenes
· Using Archetype analysis to understand the differences in
· Calculating the calorie content of a soldier’s ration pack
· Exploiting renewable energy sources to power military
· Planning emergency response in the event of a terrorist attack
· Testing computer simulations to use as realistic training tools
· Planning the logistics for disaster relief operations overseas
· Calculating the properties of armour materials to balance
protection against weight and agility
· Designing and testing camouflage patterns that work in
The virtual work experience will run during Black History Month from 19th October to 21st October between 09:00 and 15:00.
We look forward to receiving your
Skills/Experiences You Will Gain:
Career Development Workshop
Great For Students Who Are:
Willing to learn
Keen to try new things
Below are a number of questions which you will need to answer to apply for this opportunity.
Which STEM Subject (or particular aspect of STEM) interests you most and why?
Which technological invention would you argue is the most innovative, collaborative and impactful?