Speakers for Schools (We) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (the GDPR), the data controller is Speakers for Schools. We are a registered charity under charity number 1150411 and have our registered office at 40 Berkeley Square, London, W1J 5AL.
WHERE WE GET YOUR INFORMATION FROM
Information you give us:
- information about you that you give us by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by e-mail or otherwise
- includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our services or participate in discussion boards or other social media functions
Information we collect about you:
- each time you visit our site we will automatically collect technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, operating system and platform, information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), services you viewed or searched for, length of visits to certain pages and page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs)
- this is all statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns and does not identify you by name
Information we receive from other sources:
- information we receive about you if you use any of the other services we provide
- we work closely with employers and schools and may receive information about you from them
- we will notify you when we receive information about you from them and the purposes for which we intend to use that information
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We collect the following types of data or reserve the right to collect if required:
- Your name, address, date of birth, gender, personal description, family status, educational details (including the name of your school/college and previous school(s)/college(s), any education maintenance allowance details (i.e, free school meals), details relating to any work experience or job that you may have had, personal interests and academic/career aspirations
- We may also collect sensitive personal data such as your ethnic origin and any disabilities or medical conditions you may have. This is to help in providing placements in some cases.
- Family members/guardians/emergency contacts: Your name, contact information, educational history and information relating to education maintenance allowance
- Teachers, employers and mentors: Your name, contact information, opinions, employment information, information relating to your relationship with the student.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to provide you with the information and services that you request from us
- to notify you about changes to our service
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
Information we collect about you we use:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- to allow you to participate in any interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them
- Information we receive from other sources we combine with information you give to us and information we collect about you and we use this combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive)
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
You agree that we have the right to share your personal information with:
- Selected employers and mentors
- Selected schools
WHERE WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where you have chosen a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
LINKING TO OTHER SITES
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
We use Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt and protect email traffic in line with government. If your email service does not support TLS, you should be aware that any emails we send or receive may not be protected in transit.
We will also monitor any emails sent to us, including file attachments, for viruses or malicious software. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send is within the bounds of the law.
You have certain rights regarding your personal data that we hold:
- The right of access – You can request that we provide you with all personal data we hold about you, and we will provide it in a reasonable time frame. We will not charge you for this unless the request is unreasonable, or we have already provided this information to you.
- The rights to rectification, to restrict processing, and to erasure – You can contact us at any time to either correct any data with us which you think is incorrect, to ask us to stop processing and using your information temporarily, or to ask us to erase your data completely. You can contact us for this by either emailing email@example.com or getting in touch via our Contact Us page.
- The right to object – You have the right to object to any of the ways in which we are using your data at any time using the above contact details and we will stop what we’re doing immediately.
- Finally, you also have the right to not have decisions made about you automatically without your knowledge. No decisions we make are made by an automatic process, so this is not relevant here.